Have you been looking for the best recipe for curry chicken? If you’re wondering how to make curry chicken, you’re going to fall in love with this Jamaican curry chicken recipe.
Take a Look ↓↓↓
There are curry chicken recipes all over the internet, and easy chicken curry can vary by region, country, and even from one family to the next.
However, this recipe for Jamaican chicken curry will wow your family and guests, and it may become your favorite curried chicken recipe of all time.
The great thing about a chicken curry recipe is how versatile and diverse it can be, and a Jamaican recipe for curry chicken is great to serve with basmati rice, brown rice, cauliflower rice, or with some roasted veggies.
Are you ready to learn how to cook the perfect curry chicken recipe? Let’s dive in!
Why Cook a Curried Chicken Jamaican Recipe?
It seems like the world has fallen in love with Jamaican cuisine, and if you’ve been eager to try to cook a Jamaican recipe, this Jamaican curry chicken is a great one for beginners to cooking Jamaican food.
This Jamaican curry chicken is well seasoned and it’s cooked down until the curry sauce is perfectly creamy and savory. This Jamaican curry chicken is absolutely bursting with flavor and it’s one of our favorite chicken recipes.
What You Need to Cook a Jamaican Curry Chicken Recipe
Traditionally, Jamaican curry chicken consists of chicken that has been chopped into very small pieces. Then, the chicken pieces are seasoned with traditional Jamaican spices and herbs.
The yellow flavor in Jamaican curry chicken comes from the special Jamaican curry powder.
For veggies, this recipe calls for white potatoes and carrots, which give the Jamaican curry chicken more body. These veggies also help to make the curry sauce thicker.
Which Jamaican curry powder or curry paste should you use? Find a curry powder that makes this chicken curry dish bright yellow in color. For example, you don’t want to use a curry powder that will make this Jamaican chicken curry red in color. If your Jamaican curry chicken sauce turns red like Indian chicken curry or Thai curry, you’ll know that you’re not using the correct Jamaican curry powder.
Here are the other ingredients you’ll need to make easy chicken curry.
- Pimento berries
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Medium yellow onion
- White potatoes
- Scotch bonnet pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh ginger
- Curry powder (be sure to get Jamaican curry powder, not red curry powder)
- All-purpose seasoning
- Scallion onions (green onions)
- Chicken thigh or chicken breast (skin removed)
How to Create the Best Marinade for Jamaican Curry Chicken Main Dish
You’re going to use just the spices and Jamaican curry powder to marinate the chicken for your Jamaican chicken curry. The longer you allow the chicken pieces to marinate, the better flavor you will achieve.
Jamaican Curry Chicken Variations
One thing you can use to make a different type of Jamaican coconut curry is coconut milk. When you make coconut curry chicken with coconut milk, you have a coconut curry that is bold and flavorful. We love coconut chicken curry.
Other ingredients you can use are bell pepper, garlic powder, chicken broth, garam masala, green onion, white onion, red onion, skinless chicken breast, tomato paste, and curry sauce.
You can also make Jamaican chicken curry in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
What to Serve with Jamaican Curry Chicken
In Jamaica, Jamaican chicken curry is traditionally served with fluffy basmati rice. However, you can use any type of rice for your Jamaican chicken curry, including brown rice or cauliflower rice.
Our BEST Curry Chicken Recipe
For washing the chicken, you need:
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Lemon juice or lime juice
Ingredients for cooking the Jamaican chicken curry:
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken you can use chicken breast or chicken thigh
- 2 Tablespoons chicken seasoning or all-purpose seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Jamaican curry powder yellow curry powder
- 5 allspice pimento berries
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 chopped medium carrots
- 1 diced small potato
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 finely chopped scotch bonnet pepper with seeds removed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Boiling water
- Remove the chicken’s skin and chop the chicken into small pieces.
- Wash the chicken pieces in the lemon juice (or lime juice) and white vinegar mixture.
- Drain the chicken well to remove all of the excess liquid.
- Dry the chicken thoroughly with paper towels.
- In a medium kitchen bowl, combine the onion, chicken pieces, chopped pepper, garlic, ginger, pimento berries, all-purpose seasoning, salt, and curry powder. Allow all of this to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to a large pot and heat the oil until it’s medium heat.
- Add the chicken to the hot olive oil and stir thoroughly.
- Allow the chicken to become lightly browned on all sides. Don’t allow the pot to burn. If needed, add a little bit of water to keep the chicken from scorching the pot.
- Slowly stir in the potato, carrot, and thyme sprigs.
- Add sufficient water to the pot to cover the chicken.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and allow the chicken to cook for between 25 and 30 minutes.
- The Jamaican chicken curry is finished cooking when the liquid is reduced to savory curry sauce.
Do you like a step-by-step tutorial? This video on how to make curry chicken will give you exactly what you need to make the perfect curry chicken.