Indulging in a delicious treat while maintaining a keto lifestyle can be a challenge, especially during the holiday season. Fret not, as we have the perfect solution for you – Keto Shortbread Cookies! These scrumptious cookies, made from just five ingredients, are not only sugar-free and grain-free but also contain a mere 2 grams of net carbs per cookie. By incorporating these low-carb delights into your holiday dessert menu, you can indulge guilt-free and satisfy your sweet tooth.
With so many variations possible, these Keto Shortbread Cookies can cater to different preferences and dietary requirements. Gluten-free, vegan, and healthy, these cookies provide an excellent alternative to traditional sugar-laden treats. Whether you’re making them as a tempting snack for yourself or as an impressive dessert for your guests, these cookies will be a hit among keto enthusiasts and shortbread lovers alike.
- Keto Shortbread Cookies are a sugar-free, grain-free dessert perfect for the holiday season.
- Made with just 5 ingredients, these cookies cater to various dietary requirements.
- With 2 grams of net carbs per serving, they are a guilt-free indulgence for those following a low-carb lifestyle.
Keto Butter Cookies
During the festive season, it’s common for you to be in the kitchen whipping up treats like snickerdoodles, English toffee, and keto shortbread. The holiday season is a time for parties, gatherings, and of course, indulging in delightful treats. In addition to popular gingerbread and peppermint sweets, let’s not forget the charm of classic shortbread.
It’s about time you tried these amazing keto butter cookies that are not only pretty to look at, but also incredibly easy to make – and they only require five ingredients!
You won’t find any grains, oil, or flour in these delicious cookies. But what you will get is a perfectly textured cookie that’s thick, a bit dense, and crumbly, with a hint of vanilla. The cookies are sweet, buttery, and full of rich flavor, but they don’t taste too heavy on your palate.
Incorporate these entities in your cookie preparation:
- Butter: Choose between salted or unsalted butter based on your preference.
- Keto cookies: Treat yourself to these buttery delights while staying true to your keto lifestyle.
- Softened butter: The softened butter adds to the cookie’s scrumptious, rich taste.
Rest assured that this recipe isn’t a trial-and-error experiment. You can expect fantastic results every time – no burnt edges or overcooked cookies here! Enjoy your keto butter cookies and share them with your loved ones during the holiday season.
How to Create Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies
- Unsalted Butter – Make sure the butter is soft and at room temperature, as saltless butter works best for this recipe.
- Sweetener – You can choose between erythritol or monk fruit sweetener.
- Eggs – Always use room temperature eggs.
- Vanilla Extract – An important ingredient in any scrumptious cookie recipe!
- Almond Flour – Opt for blanched almond flour, not almond meal. The flour should have a super fine texture, like powdered sugar, for the perfect consistency.
- Mix the softened butter with your chosen sweetener until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs one by one, ensuring proper mixing.
- Incorporate the vanilla extract, and then gently add the almond flour until fully combined.
- Use a cookie scoop or large spoon to create dough portions, and place them onto a lined baking sheet.
- Shape the dough into circles, and press a fork’s tines over the surface.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until you notice the edges turning golden.
- Finally, let the cookies cool down completely on the baking sheet before enjoying them!
Can Eggs Be Replaced or Skipped?
In classic shortbread recipes, eggs aren’t used. Yet, for this particular recipe, eggs are essential. Leaving them out may result in tasty cookies, but their appearance will be darker with burnt edges. Including eggs ensures the dough cooks properly, resembling traditional shortbread. Trust me, you won’t even notice their presence in the flavor!
Tips to Make the Perfect Low Carb Shortbread
To create delicious and low carb shortbread that will impress your taste buds, follow these helpful suggestions:
- Use very fine blanched almond flour for a smooth, buttery cookie. Avoid using coarse almond flour, which may result in a gritty texture.
- You can shape the cookies traditionally by baking them in a loaf pan. After about 8 minutes, remove the pan, cut the dough into your desired shape, and then bake it for another 10-15 minutes.
- Be mindful not to overbake the shortbread, as it will continue to cook while cooling.
- For a beautiful finishing touch, brush the tops of the cookies with melted butter and sprinkle with granulated sweetener.
Remember to enjoy your crispy, low carb shortbread as a delightful treat!
Diverse Flavor Combinations
Incorporate these tasty twists into your shortbread cookies for a delightful flavor assortment!
- Cranberry: Mix 1/4 cup of dried cranberries into the dough.
- Lavender: Blend 2 teaspoons of dried lavender into the dough.
- Lemon: Grate some lemon zest and infuse the dough with a few drops of lemon extract.
- Chocolate Chip: Include 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips in the dough.
- Cinnamon: Stir 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon into the dough and dust the baked cookies with cinnamon and sugar.
Storing Keto Shortbread: The Effective Way
To keep your keto shortbread fresh, simply store it at room temperature in a tightly sealed container for up to four weeks. For longer storage, put the shortbread in a ziplock bag and freeze it; it will last up to six months.
More Keto Cookies to Try
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Almond Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Almond Flour Cookies
- Breakfast Cookies
Keto Shortbread Cookies
- 3/4 cup granulated sweetener erythritol or monk fruit sweetener
- 1/4 cup softened salted butter
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix softened butter and granulated sweetener with a hand mixer until creamy. Add vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, mixing until smooth. Gently fold in almond flour.
- Use a large spoon or cookie scoop to shape 12-15 dough balls, placing them on the lined pan. Press down on each ball to form a cookie, making a crisscross pattern with a fork.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until edges turn golden. Allow cookies to cool completely.
Net Carbs: 2g
As you’re creating these delightful keto cookies, remember that they’re not only tasty but also have a low net carb count, fiber-rich, and can fit into your dietary plan without causing significant blood sugar fluctuations. Enjoy your keto chocolate chip cookies and explore the other cookie variations for even more deliciousness!
Frequently Asked Questions
There are several low-carb sweeteners that work well in keto cookie recipes:
- Monk fruit
- Xylitol (keep away from pets)
To make almond flour shortbread cookies, you’ll need:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Combine almond flour, sweetener, salt, and softened butter in a bowl.
- Add optional flavoring like vanilla extract.
- Mix everything until a dough forms.
- Roll out dough and cut into desired shapes.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
Yes, you can use:
- Coconut flour
- Sunflower seed flour
- Sesame seed flour
- Pumpkin seed flour
Keep in mind that ratios may vary, so adjust accordingly.
What’s the process for making keto shortbread bars?
To make keto shortbread bars, follow these steps:
- Follow the same process as making almond flour shortbread cookies.
- Instead of cutting shapes, press the dough into a parchment-lined square baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 15-20 minutes, or until slightly golden.
- Allow to cool, then cut into bars.
Tips for making keto pecan shortbread cookies include:
- Chop pecans into small pieces.
- Add pecans to shortbread dough.
- Flatten dough balls with a fork to create a pattern.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 10-15 minutes.
How do I create a keto-friendly shortbread crust?
To make a keto shortbread crust, follow these steps:
- Combine almond flour, sweetener, and softened butter.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a parchment-lined pie or tart pan.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 10-12 minutes, or until set and lightly golden.
- Allow to cool before adding desired filling.