After the delicious Thanksgiving feast, it’s common to have an abundance of leftover turkey. Instead of reheating the same turkey dinner for days on end, why not try something new and creative?
Transform your turkey leftovers into scrumptious leftover turkey patties. This recipe will have you eagerly looking forward to your next meal, and it’s a fantastic way to make the most out of your Thanksgiving turkey.
Leftover turkey patties are not only a delightful twist on the traditional turkey sandwich, but they are also easy to make, and customizable to your taste. You can enjoy them on their own, in a salad, or on a bun like a burger. Dive into the world of delectable leftover turkey recipes and breathe new life into your post-Thanksgiving meals.
With a confident and clear approach, this article will guide you through the process of creating delicious leftover turkey patties using easily available ingredients. Savor the satisfaction of knowing that you have made the most of your Thanksgiving feast. So, roll up your sleeves and get ready to turn your turkey leftovers into a mouthwatering delight!
Ingredients and Preparation
To make delicious leftover turkey patties, you’ll need the following simple ingredients:
- 3 cups of cooked turkey (shredded or finely chopped)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup of plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley (You can also use cilantro or scallions as alternatives)
- 1/4 cup of grated yellow onion (carrots or bell pepper can be added too for extra veggies)
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder (or 1 minced garlic clove)
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil or butter (for frying the patties)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your cooked turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, chopped parsley (or alternative herbs), grated onion, garlic powder (or minced garlic clove), salt, and black pepper. Mix thoroughly until all ingredients are well integrated.
- Using your hands or a spoon, shape the mixture into 8-10 patties. You can make them larger or smaller depending on your preference, but keep in mind that cooking times will vary.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat your olive oil or butter over medium-high heat. Once melted and hot, carefully place the patties in the skillet, making sure not to overcrowd them. Fry the patties for 5-6 minutes on each side or until they reach an internal temperature of at least 165°F and are golden brown on the outside.
Looking for some side dishes? These leftover turkey patties pair well with creamy mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, or a light green salad. Enjoy your leftovers with a fresh and flavorful twist!
In this section, we’ll cover three different methods for preparing delicious leftover turkey patties: stovetop, bake, and air fryer. Each method ensures a fantastic flavor and offers a great way to use up your leftover turkey meat.
- Prepare the patties: In a food processor, combine the leftover turkey meat with some stuffing and seasonings like smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Pulse until well combined, but not overly processed. Shape the mixture into patties.
- Heat the skillet: Place a griddle or hot skillet on your stovetop and heat it over medium-high heat. Add a small amount of oil or cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Cook the patties: Place the patties on the heated skillet, and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and heated through.
- Preheat your oven: Set your oven to 375°F (190°C) and allow it to preheat.
- Prepare the patties: As with the stovetop method, combine the turkey meat, stuffing, and seasonings in a food processor, then shape the mixture into patties.
- Arrange the patties on a baking sheet: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, and place the patties on the sheet, spaced evenly apart.
- Bake the patties: Cook the patties in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, flipping them halfway through, until they’re fully cooked and lightly browned.
Air Fryer Method
- Preheat your air fryer: Set your air fryer to 375°F (190°C) and allow it to preheat for 5 minutes.
- Create the patties: As previously described, use your food processor to combine the turkey meat, stuffing, and seasonings, then form the mixture into patties.
- Cook the patties in the air fryer: Place the patties in your preheated air fryer basket (you may need to do this in batches, depending on your air fryer’s size). Cook for 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown and fully cooked.
By using one of these methods, you can transform your leftover turkey into delightful homemade patties packed with flavor. Additionally, consider using the leftover turkey in dishes such as turkey casserole, turkey soup, or turkey chili for more delicious meal options.
Serving and Storage
Your leftover turkey patties taste great when served fresh and hot. Pair them with a variety of healthy sides to complete your meal. Here are a few options to consider:
- Salad: A crisp green salad complements the patties and adds a dose of freshness to your plate.
- Mashed potatoes: Fluffy and warm mashed potatoes make a classic side dish.
- Green beans: Opt for steamed, roasted, or sautéed, to boost your veggie intake.
- Rice: Choose from white, brown, or wild rice to add more variety to your serving.
- Potato wedges: Oven-baked potato wedges add a crispy side to your meal.
You can also transform your turkey patties into delectable turkey burgers by placing them between whole grain buns with your choice of accoutrements. Add a dollop of Greek yogurt, some shredded cheese, or a spoonful of homemade gravy to enhance the flavor.
To store your leftover turkey patties, follow these simple and effective tips:
- Allow the patties to cool completely before storing.
- Place the patties in an airtight container or wrap them individually in plastic wrap.
- Store in the refrigerator if you plan on consuming them within 3-4 days.
- For longer storage, place the container or wrapped patties in the freezer.
When you are ready to enjoy your frozen turkey patties, transfer them to the refrigerator to thaw overnight. Reheat them in the microwave, oven, or on the stovetop until warmed through.
Incorporate these leftover turkey patties into your lunch or dinner plans for a satisfying, protein-packed meal that’s both easy and delicious. With a range of serving suggestions and proper storage tips, you’ll never waste that extra turkey again.
If you want to make your leftover turkey patties healthier, there are some easy substitutions you can make to the basic recipe without sacrificing flavor. For instance, you can replace the breadcrumbs with a gluten-free or whole wheat option. Using low-fat Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise will also create a lighter turkey salad for the patties.
Here are some healthy ingredient swaps you can make:
|Whole Wheat or Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs
|Low-fat Greek Yogurt
Additionally, you can add more nutrients to your patties by mixing in diced vegetables like onion, parsley, or scallions.
To keep things interesting, you can always add new flavors to your leftover turkey patties by experimenting with these easy variations.
- Herbed Turkey Patties: Mix in fresh herbs like parsley and dill into your turkey mixture to give it an extra depth of flavor. You could even try adding your favorite Christmas-inspired herbs, such as sage or thyme, for a festive touch.
- Dijon Turkey Patties: For a tangy twist, add a generous spoonful of Dijon mustard to your turkey salad mixture. This will give your patties a zesty kick that pairs well with the turkey and other ingredients.
- Sweet and Savory Turkey Patties: Combine sweet and savory elements by adding in thin pear slices to your patties. This adds a surprising, yet delicious, touch to your dish.
Remember, these are just a few ideas to help you get creative with your turkey patties. Feel free to experiment with your favorite flavors and share your tips for the perfect turkey patty experience.
If you’re looking for more ways to use up your leftover turkey, consider making a flavorful turkey hash or incorporate the leftovers into a comforting pasta dish. With a little imagination and a few additional ingredients, your post-Christmas meals can be just as exciting as the holiday feast itself.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some healthy variations of turkey patty recipes?
To make a healthier turkey patty, consider using whole wheat breadcrumbs or substituting grated vegetables like zucchini or carrots for some of the breadcrumbs. You can also try using Greek yogurt or avocado as a substitute for mayonnaise in your recipe, and opt for leaner ground turkey to minimize fat content.
How can I make a gravy to accompany my turkey patties?
A simple and delicious gravy for turkey patties can be made by melting 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan, whisking in 2 tablespoons of flour, and cooking for 2-3 minutes. Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups of chicken or turkey broth and cook, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve over your turkey patties.
What seasonings can be used to enhance the flavor of turkey patties?
To enhance the flavor of your turkey patties, experiment with seasonings such as garlic, onion, paprika, rosemary, thyme, and sage. You can also add fresh herbs, like chopped parsley or cilantro, to your patties for added flavor. To go bold, you can incorporate spices like cumin, curry, or chili powder.
What are some creative ways to use leftover turkey in a patty recipe?
There are several creative ways to use leftover turkey in a patty recipe. You can try combining it with other ingredients like mashed potatoes, sautéed onions, and chopped vegetables to create a unique flavor and texture. Also, consider incorporating various types of cheeses, like cheddar, feta, or mozzarella, to add another dimension to the taste.
Can leftover turkey patties be used for breakfast dishes?
Yes, leftover turkey patties can be used for breakfast dishes. Try chopping them up and adding them into an omelette or frittata with your choice of vegetables and cheese. You can also make a breakfast sandwich by placing a cooked turkey patty on a toasted English muffin, topping it with a fried or scrambled egg, and adding a slice of cheese.
What is the ideal storage duration for cooked turkey patties?
Cooked turkey patties can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. If you need to store them longer, consider freezing the cooked patties in a freezer-safe container or resealable plastic bags, separated by wax paper. They can be frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply place the frozen patties on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 350°F for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.