We love trying new recipes.
Take a Look ↓↓↓
Modern technology has brought us amazing new gadgets, like the air fryer, slow cooker, and pressure cooker. Thanks to these cookers, there are tons of innovative ideas and recipes out there that can make dinner at your house more exciting.
But sometimes, we crave something old-school and comforting, like the tried-and-true Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf.
A beloved family favorite, this classic meatloaf recipe made with ground beef has been used by busy parents for more than 80 years. A favorite at potlucks and church suppers, there are few people who don’t delight in this delicious comfort food.
What is the Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf? Let’s learn all about this delicious dish.
History of the Lipton Meatloaf Recipe
Lipton calls it “Souperior Meatloaf,” a lofty and catchy name for a dish that is pure comfort food.
The Lipton company didn’t invent ground beef meat loaf, but their famous and classic recipe had its debut in 1936. The Lipton Onion Soup mix meatloaf recipe first appeared in a cookbook that was published in 1936. Put out by the General Electric Kitchen Institute, the cookbook was titled “The New Art of Modern Cookery.
The cookbook was a huge success, but the lasting star of this little book was the Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf recipe.
The secret to the perfect meatloaf lies in the simple list of ingredients, namely the ketchup and the Lipton Onion Soup Mix.
Tricks & Tips for Making (and Serving) the Very Best Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf Recipe
This recipe for Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf has been around for decades, and home chefs have shared several best practices for making the most of this classic recipe.
Use the right type of meat
The best tip we have is that you use the right ground beef. Ground beef with an 80/20 fat ratio will give you the juiciest meatloaf.
You can use leaner meat, but if you do, be sure to add some liquid (beef broth is good) to make sure your meatloaf isn’t dry.
Change the Lipton Onion Soup Mix recipe a bit
The classic recipe calls for Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup Mix. However, there’s no reason that you can’t change things up to achieve a different flavor.
Consider garlic and herb soup mix, beef onion soup mix, french onion soup mix, or mushroom and onion soup mix. French Onion Meatloaf is delicious.
Note that the Lipton dip mix isn’t ideal for this recipe.
Can you use a homemade onion soup mix to make this recipe? Absolutely! Your homemade onion soup mix will still give you that wonderful onion flavor.
Your slow cooker can be your best friend
Do you want to come home to the smell of meatloaf cooking after a hard day at work? You can easily make Lipton Onion Soup Mix meatloaf in your slow cooker. The Crock Pot is a great way to get dinner on the table quickly and easily.
To cook this meatloaf recipe in your slow cooker, follow these steps:
- Cover the meatloaf with cheesecloth. The cheesecloth helps to hold everything together.
- Place your meatloaf on a rack in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for about 4 hours.
Reduce fat and calories
Is your family trying to eat a more healthy diet? It’s easy to lighten up this recipe for Lipton Onion Soup Mix meatloaf.
You can use egg beaters or egg whites in place of the whole eggs.
Instead of ground beef, feel free to use ground turkey or ground chicken. If you use one of these leaner meats, you will need to add more liquid such as beef broth to the recipe to make up for less fat.
Another trick is to put a few pieces of bread at the bottom of your cooker under your meatloaf. Meatloaf sits in its own grease as it cooks, and the bread will soak up the excess grease when it’s baking.
Experiment with ingredients
You can add some chopped fresh parsley (or dried parsley) to your meatloaf to add color and flavor.
Also, try seasoning your meatloaf with Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning for a more Italian-inspired meatloaf.
If you want to replace the ketchup, try spaghetti sauce, plain tomato sauce, or pizza sauce instead. When you use spaghetti sauce on your meatloaf, it will be much more tender and moist.
Don’t care for tomato-flavored meatloaf? No problem. Just make your meatloaf without the ketchup. You can use gravy or mushroom soup as a topping.
Want a slightly sweeter meatloaf? Add a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar. You can also make a different type of glaze. Google to find a wide variety of glaze recipes.
Sneak some veggies into your Lipton Onion Soup Mix meatloaf
A great way to get more vegetables into your family’s diet is to add finely chopped or pureed veggies like carrots, green peppers, celery, and onions to your meat loaf mix.
Want to make a super cheesy and luscious meatloaf? Cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese can take your meatloaf to new heights.
Have leftovers? Freeze individual slices for quick lunches and dinners
If you have leftover meatloaf, you can count your lucky stars. Individual slices of meatloaf freeze up beautifully. You can pull a slice out on a busy weeknight and serve it up with mashed potatoes.
Frozen meatloaf will keep for up to three months if frozen in freezer bags.
Alternatively, leftover meatloaf makes an excellent meatloaf sandwich.
You can also freeze an entire uncooked or cooked loaf. If you want to have a loaf for a later date, this is a great way to put a quick dinner on the table.
Slow and easy wins the race
It’s tempting to cook your meatloaf at a higher temperature so that it’s ready sooner. However, you will have the moistest and most delicious meatloaf if you cook it at a perfect 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Delicious Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf
- 2 pounds ground beef or other ground meat
- 1 Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup packet
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs or 3/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup or 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce optional
- Gather together all of your ingredients.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all of the ingredients except the ketchup in a large bowl and mix them together. Avoid over-mixing the mixture or you may end up with a tough and dry meatloaf. As soon as the ingredients are thoroughly combined, you’re ready for the next step.
- Spray your pan with cooking spray so that you will have easier cleanup.
- Shape your meatloaf mixture into a 13×9-inch roasting pan, loaf pan, meatloaf pan, or baking dish.
- Spoon your ketchup or spaghetti sauce on top of the meatloaf.
- Bake your meatloaf uncovered for one hour or until an inserted thermometer says it’s done. An instant-read thermometer should register between 160-165 degrees Fahrenheit when the meat is thoroughly cooked.
- Allow your meatloaf to stand for 10 minutes before you serve it.
- Cut into 1.5-inch slices and serve with one of our delicious meatloaf side dishes (mashed potato is excellent!), homemade bread, or some caramelized onions.