One of our all time favorite dishes is pasta. A pasta meal can be so versatile, filling, satisfying, and really make you feel like you are at home. We’ve never had a bad pasta dish!
One of the absolute best pasta dishes is the Louisiana Chicken Pasta served at the Cheesecake Factory. The taste will blow your mind. It’s a beautiful blend of spices, mixed with creamy sauce to balance it out, and topped with crispy chicken, what’s not to love?
Louisiana Chicken Pasta is one of the most favored dishes served at popular restaurant chain The Cheesecake Factory.
This delicious dish is made with parmesan crusted chicken, and served with bow tie pasta and a thick New Orleans sauce. Who does not love authentic, traditional, Southern cuisine?
New Orleans is well known for its french-inspired architecture, jazz music and stunning food, and this Louisiana chicken pasta is just bursting with cajun spices, infused with a creamy, cheesy sauce that we all love.
What is Louisiana Chicken Pasta?
Louisiana Chicken pasta is derived from the deep south, and is made with crispy, cajun spiced chicken covered in a parmesan cheese crust for a delicious crunch!
Mixed in with creamy New Orleans style sauce with mushrooms, bell peppers and onions, this dish is served over pasta for a filling, heart and tasty meal!
What kind of chicken to use for Louisiana Chicken Pasta
The key with this dish is the chicken strips. The best part of Louisians chicken pasta is the crispy seared and crusted chicken to go on the top! For the best results, you will want to use thin or butterflied chicken breasts ready to cut into chicken tenders.
However, you can use a thick chicken breast, and simply butterfly it and slice through the middle or cut it into thinner parts to make the parmesan crust stick better.
You will need to be able to cover and coat the chicken breasts in the seasoning and the parmesan coating before searing the chicken for about 5 minutes, so butterfly chicken will be easiest.
What will I need to make Louisiana Chicken Pasta?
This dish works better when made with bow tie pasta. We also recommend that you use multicolored pasta as it looks great mixed up in this colorful dish!
However, you can use penne if that is what you have readily available at home, as the sauce is what really makes this dish so delicious.
You will also need to have a skillet prepared for cooking the chicken, and for cooking your vegetables. In addition, you will require a pot for cooking the pasta, and some bowls for preparing your chicken seasoning and parmesan cheese crust.
To make your seasoning and egg coating, you will need a small whisk to mix it all together, along with a spatula for cooking, and a pair of tongs for maneuvering the chicken once coated in breadcrumbs.
How to make Louisiana Chicken Pasta
To make your Louisiana Chicken Pasta, you will need to first prepare the seasonings for the chicken, and the parmesan mixture.
How to prepare the chicken
The first step is to dry off any excess moisture from the chicken with a paper towel, and get two bowls ready. Fill one bowl with the egg, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder, and fill the other bowl with flour, breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
Once you have your mixtures ready, you will need to dredge each chicken breast in the egg and seasoning mixture first, before covering them in the breadcrumb and parmesan mixture.
The egg and seasoning bowl will create a great base for the parmesan and breadcrumbs to stick to, so this step is essential.
Make sure you turn the chicken and coat the piece entirely in the breadcrumbs, and press down to cover all sides. Do this with every piece of chicken, and set to one side.
Next, you will want to heat up 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter in a skillet on a medium high heat. Once hot, you can place the coated pieces of chicken in the skillet and cook on medium high heat for about 4 minutes.
Wait until the one side is cooked and press down with the spatula to ensure the breadcrumb coating stays adhered to the meat.
Then, you can turn the chicken with some tongs to cook the other side once the first side has turned a golden brown color. Again, cook the second side for about 4 minutes and then remove the chicken from the skillet once done.
Preparing the vegetables for New Orleans sauce
Once you have cooked your chicken, you can focus on making the sauce. You will need to slice up some mushrooms and chop up bell peppers and green onions.
Again, heat up the oil and butter in the skillet on a medium high heat until the butter has completely melted, then add your mushrooms in. You should try to cook the mushrooms for about 3 minutes in total, stirring occasionally so that both sides cook evenly.
Once your mushrooms are cooking nicely, you can add in your mixed bell peppers, a splash of olive oil and your green onions for a bursting flavor. Then, you will want to add in a little garlic and cook for one minute until fragrant, and filling your nostrils!
Cook these ingredients together for about 4 minutes, also on the medium high heat, until they have softened a little.
How to make authentic New Orleans Sauce
The creamy New Orleans sauce is what makes this dish so enjoyable and so well loved! To make your own, you will need chicken stock, cajun seasoning and heavy cream.
First mix the cajun seasoning, chicken stock, and heavy cream, and simmer them over a low heat setting for about 5 minutes. Stir a little to combine, and wait until the sauce starts to get fragrant and smelling delicious before adding to the vegetables.
How to cook the pasta
Once the ball is rolling with your veggies and your chicken is cooked, you can start cooking your pasta to go with it. First begin by boiling up a large pot of water until it reaches boiling point. Then, add in your pasta and cook according to the packaging instructions.
Once the pasta is cooked, you will want to drain the pasta, but remember not to rinse it. If you want to make this dish just like The Cheesecake Factory, then try serving your pasta al dente, which means leaving your pasta uncovered and stirring it whilst it cooks so that it is not too soft to eat.
At the point where the sauce is ready, you can mix in with your bell peppers and onions, and mix in the pasta bow ties!
When your pasta is cooked, and your sauce is ready to be served, you can dish up your bow tie pasta and top it with the sauce. Chop up your chicken pieces into slices, and sprinkle with a little shredded parmesan and you are ready to eat to your heart’s content.
Louisiana Chicken Pasta
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 10 oz bow tie pasta
- 8 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 chopped green onions
- 1 egg
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 1/2 large yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- A little salt and pepper
For the sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- First, you will need to prepare the seasoning for the chicken breasts. Grab two bowls, placing the egg, salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning in one, and breadcrumbs, parmesan and flour in the other.
- Next, dredge each chicken breast in both the egg bowl and the breadcrumbs bowl and press, ensuring that the mixtures are coating the chicken. Coat both sides and press again.
- Coat all chicken breasts and place on a plate.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat, and place in your coated chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes on one side. If you move the chicken the coating will drop off, so leave on one side, and press down whilst it cooks.
- Using tongs, you can lightly turn the chicken once the first side has crisped to a golden brown, and then cook the other side for about 4 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the skillet.
- Melt another tablespoon of oil and butter in the skillet, and throw in the mushrooms to cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Throw in your green onions and bell peppers and cook on medium high until soft. Toss in your garlic cloves and stir.
- Whilst cooking, you will want to bring a large pot of water to the boil ready to cook the pasta. Once the water is boiling, add in your pasta and turn down to simmer, following instructions on the package. Drain pasta once done.
- To make your sauce, mix together heavy cream, cajun seasoning, and the chicken stock with a little salt. Once done, add to the skillet with the peppers.
- Now, you can add your pasta to the skillet and stir until the sauce completely coats the bow ties, and add a little more parmesan cheese to melt in with the pasta.
- Once ready, you can slice up the chicken into strips and serve on top of each dish of pasta, topping with a little freshly grated parmesan cheese, and enjoy!