Apples for many, are a favored fruit that is reached for daily to enjoy as a quick snack. However, taking the time to slice the apple beforehand can be a rather inconvenient delay.
Take a Look ↓↓↓
When you're feeling rather peckish you don't want to be dedicating your time to peeling, coring, and slicing the apple using a kitchen knife of some kind.
Maybe you’ve always questioned how apples that you are served in restaurants are always cut into such even slices?
If the above applies to you, an apple slicer provides the perfect solution. An apple slicer is a simple but convenient tool that is designed with sharp blades which will allow you to slice your apple with minimal hassle.
There are different types of slicers available; some of which will create thick wedges and others which will create thin slices.
Of course, the style that you choose will depend on how the apples are going to be consumed. We have browsed the market and reviewed our top 7 picks of the best apple slicers.
You will also find a buyer’s guide containing our top tips for selecting the best tool for your requirements.
What is an apple slicer?
An apple slicer often referred to as an apple corer or an apple divider is a handheld kitchen tool designed with sharp blades.
They typically feature a ring in the center which will remove the core and wedge liked segments stemming out from this which will slice the apple.
Essentially, this tool intends to save you from the hassle of having to cut each slice individually using a knife instead allowing you to slice and core the apple by applying pressure to the handles in one simple motion.
Using an apple slicer
There are several types of apple slicers available, though the most common tends to be a circular tool. Two handles are adjoined to the outside of the frame.
The stainless steel blades can typically cut between 8 to 16 slices depending on the thickness of the wedges that they claim to create.
Using an apple slicer is pretty straightforward. Simply place the apple stem side upwards on a tough surface such as a chopping board.
Then place the apple slicer above the apple ensuring that the center is aligned to the apple’s core. Using both hands, apply pressure to the slicer pushing it down into the apple.
You will need to apply a decent amount of pressure to release the slices from the tool. Remember that apples are a tough fruit so to create the initial slices you will need to apply quite a bit of force.
It is important to be cautious when using your apple slicer as the sharpness of the blades and the juices dispersed from the apples can be an unsafe combination if the tool isn’t handled carefully.
OUR TOP PICK
The Progressive Thin Apple Slicer and Corer boasts a unique design with a base that allows you to completely remove the core and cut the fruit evenly.
This also acts as a safety cover protecting your fingers from potential injury when in use while also ensuring that the blades are covered when the tool is stored away in between uses.
As a thin slicer, it will easily chop your apple into 16 evenly sized slices. It is also suitable for dishwashing making the chore of cleaning your tool in between uses much more convenient.
Designed with two sturdy handles, you can maintain a secure grasp on the tool for smooth functionality.
This slicer has been made with durable stainless steel blades which allow for long lasting use. It is also available in two different colors; gray and red so you can select your preferred option.
- Sharp Blades - create consistently even slices with ease.
- The Cover - this feature ensures that your hands and fingers are protected from the sharpness of the blades.
- Quality - this slicer has been constructed from tough plastic and strong metal blades for enhanced durability.
- Ease of Use - using this slicer is a straightforward task and features such as the cover also make the task much easier.
- The Core diameter - As it is a little small it can make it difficult to exactly match it up to the core of your apple.
Boasting an upgraded design the SAVORLIVING Apple Slicer incorporates 4 welding points that are attached to the central core ring.
As such, it is sturdy, durable, and more than likely to see you through many uses.
It can handle apples as large as 4” creating 12 even slices. The thickness of the slices that are created will depend on the size of the apple that you are using.
The central ring isn’t too large so it will target the core of the apple without wasting too much of the fruit.
Aside from apples, it can also be used to slice through a selection of other tough medium-sized fruits and vegetables including pears and potatoes.
Because of this, you can create perfect slices that can be consumed as a snack or used for cooking purposes.
In regards to cleaning, this slicer is suitable for dishwashing so any remnants of the fruit can be removed with ease.
- Quality - this slicer has been made with stainless steel handles, blades, and frame so it is very strong and durable.
- Refund Policy - if you are dissatisfied with the quality and functionality of the slicer you can return it to receive a refund or exchange.
- Accessories - you are provided with a cleaning brush to reach the more intricate parts of the slicer.
- Sharp Blades - create even slices in your apple and other tough fruits.
- The handles - the handles of the slicer aren’t coated with a soft material which can make it uncomfortable to use.
OXO is a reliable brand that is known for producing a selection of cookware products and tools.
The OXO good grips apple slicer is designed with sharp stainless steel blades which will effectively core and cut through apples and other tough fruits.
Featuring raised handles your hands are positioned away from the blades so there isn’t a risk of potential accidents occurring.
They are also coated with a soft material that is comfortable against your skin and they are wide too so the pressure that is applied will be absorbed by a larger surface.
In regards to cleaning, this apple slicer is suitable for dishwashing so you aren’t faced with the chore of having to clean it yourself.
It has also been made from high quality materials which can handle regular use.
- Price - this apple slicer retails at an affordable price making it excellent value for money.
- Ergonomic Design - the non-slip handles are flexible and allow you to maintain a secure and comfortable grasp on the slicer.
- Ease of Use - the design of this slicer makes it easy to use resulting in shorter preparation times.
- Easy to Clean - this slicer is very easy to clean in between uses.
- It isn’t universal - while this slicer works well with small and medium sized apples it doesn’t accommodate those of a larger size.
The SCHVUBENR Apple Slicer takes the hassle out of apple slicing.
It features a central core ring and 8 sharp bladed segments which will cut your apple into 8 uniform slices. As for compatibility, this tool can be used with apples and other fruits measuring 3.5” or smaller.
Ergonomically designed, the handles are coated in a soft, non-slip material that is comfortable to use and also makes it easier to maintain a secure grasp on the tool while it is in use.
It has been durably constructed from stainless steel and it is also easy to clean too.
While some may wish to wash it by hand, there is also the option to place it inside the dishwasher for convenience if some would prefer.
- Lifetime guarantee - Backed with a 100% lifetime guarantee there is support available if you aren't happy with your purchase.
- Materials - as this slicer has been made from BPA free stainless steel it is safe for use.
- The Price - Retailing within an affordable price range, this slicer provides an excellent budget option.
- Colors - This slicer is available in an assortment of colors so you can choose your favorite option.
- The Blades - due to the sharpness of the blades this slicer sometimes struggles to cut all the way through the apple so more pressure will need to be applied.
The Calphalon Easy Grip Apple Corer Slicer is designed with oversized raised handles which provide you with greater control when using the tool.
This also ensures that your hands and fingers are positioned away from potential contact with the blades so possible injuries are avoided.
While this tool is great for cutting apples it can also be used to slice other fruits such as pears.
The inclusion of the soft touch control zone on the handles makes the slicer easier and much more comfortable to handle. This also ensures that your hands refrain from slipping when the tool is in use.
To maintain the quality of this slicer it can be popped into the dishwasher following use. This also saves you from having to clean it yourself.
In regards to durability, this slicer features stainless steel blades which will provide you with a lifetime of use.
- Warranty - this slicer is backed by a lifetime warranty so there is support available if you are dissatisfied with your slicer.
- Generously Sized - it can be used with small to medium sized apples to create 8 slices.
- Durability - made from high quality materials, this is a durable product that will serve many uses.
- Comfort - the design of the handle allows for comfortable use and a reduced chance of fatigue.
- Blade Sharpness - this slicer requires a generous amount of pressure to be applied otherwise it will struggle to cut the apple all the way through.
With a diameter measuring 4.54”, the Newness Apple Slicer is a generously sized tool that can be used to chop through large apples too, creating 8 slices.
It can also be used with other fruits like pears.
It has been constructed from a combination of food-grade stainless steel and plastic so you can be sure that it is safe to come into contact with food products.
It can be easily cleaned although hand washing is recommended to preserve the quality.
Designed with anti-slip silicone handles, this apple slicer is comfortable to hold as it will resist moving out of your hands when it is in use.
It will also prevent you from experiencing wrist fatigue too. Courtesy of the sharp stainless steel blades, this slicer will cut into your apple within seconds.
- Versatile - this slicer can be used for a range of fruits besides apples includes pears and oranges.
- The Price - As this slicer retails at an affordable price it is great value for money.
- Colors - available in two different colors, you can select your favorite option.
- Large Diameter - this ensures that parts of the apple do not become stuck in the blades.
- The sharpness of the blades - you will need to apply quite a lot of pressure to the slicer to ensure that the apple is entirely cut through.
The FAMMOM Apple Slicer boasts an upgraded design with 4 soldered joints on each blade, each of which is then attached to the central core ring.
As such, it is stronger and durable enough to deliver long lasting use.
It can be used with fruits with a diameter measuring 4.1” cutting the fruit into 12 evenly sliced pieces. While it is primarily intended for slicing apples, it can also be used for onions, pears, and potatoes.
This slicer has been made from high-grade stainless steel with sharp blades that will cut through tough fruits with ease.
The stainless steel is also rust-resistant so it is going to maintain its quality for longer. It is also easy to clean as it can be washed by hand in warm water or placed in the dishwasher.
- Size - there are 2 sizes available; an 8 blade or 12 blade option so you can select the appropriate size for the thickness of the slices that you require.
- Accessories - you are provided with a cleaning brush which makes it easier to access the intricate parts of the slicer.
- Refund Policy - If you are unhappy with your purchase you can exchange it or return it for a refund.
- Sturdy - constructed from tough materials this is a high quality tool.
- The handles - unfortunately, the handles aren’t coated with any soft materials so some may find it uncomfortable to hold.
Best Apple Slicers Buying Guide
Evidently, the market offers a range of apple slicers of various sizes and styles, however, it is important to consider the following criteria to ensure that the slicer is suitable for your requirements.
The Sharpness Of The Blades
Sharper blades are going to be much more effective at slicing through the apple.
Those that are a little blunt will require you to apply more pressure to the tool to ensure that the whole apple is sliced through. Sharp blades are also going to achieve more uniform and even cuts.
Your apple slicer should be made to last. Those that are made from high quality materials are going to deliver long lasting use.
Many tools boast an upgraded design with soldered or welded joints that enhance the strength of the tool to ensure that it does not deteriorate when subject to frequent use.
The Ergonomic Design
Ideally, your apple slicer should be ergonomically designed as this will make it much more comfortable to handle.
While some are made entirely from stainless steel, others have handles that are coated with a non-slip material which allows you to hold the tool comfortably whilst ensuring that it does not slip away from your grasp.
There are also some that feature raised handles that position your hands and fingers away from the blades so there isn’t a potential risk of injury.
Your preference will determine how many slices you want the tool to make.
Some will be designed with six segments while others will be designed with as many as 12 or 16. Of course, the number of slices will affect how thick each of the pieces are.
For example, a 16 slice tool is going to create thinner cuts than an 8 slice tool.
To determine which is best for you, you must decide whether you are intending to consume the apple as it is or as part of a recipe. For recipes, you will likely benefit from a 16 slice tool.
Cleaning The Slicer
The majority of apple slicers are suitable for dishwashing although some manufacturers will advise you to wash the tool by hand.
The option to wash the slicer in the dishwasher is likely to be super convenient for those who do not want to be faced with the chore of cleaning it themselves.
Impressively, many brands will also provide a cleaning brush that can be used to access the more intricate elements of the slicer that the dishwasher may have missed.
Storing The Slicer
Some apple slicers are much larger and more bulkily designed than others, thus making them a little more difficult to store.
If you don’t have a lot of space available in your kitchen drawers to store a more robust slicer, you will likely benefit from opting for a smaller tool instead.
Many slicers will also come with covers that will protect your hands from potential injury when reaching for the tool inside your drawers.
You must also consider how much you are willing to spend on your tool as some will be a little more expensive than others.
While it typically tends to be the case that the quality is reflected in the price, there are many affordable options available that perform just as well as the high-end offerings.
We have included a range in our guide from various price points to accommodate different budgets.
Many apple slicers are covered by a warranty or refund policy which covers you if you are unhappy with the quality of the tool that you receive.
While a warranty covers the product for a specific length of time against defects, a refund policy allows you to return or exchange the tool if you aren’t satisfied with the quality.
The length of the warranty will often differ between brands and some may not offer a warranty at all so it is important to determine whether this is going to influence which product you select.
Choosing Between A Traditional Slicer And A Mandoline Slicer
If a traditional apple slicer does not cater to your needs, you may wish to opt for a mandoline slicer or another type that is intended for multipurpose use.
They also tend to be rather easy to use and achieve thin slices when cutting through a range of fruits and other foods etc.
While traditional apple slicers tend to be the most popular option for chopping apples, a mandoline slicer may be preferred by those who do not find them comfortable to use.
Frequently Asked Questions
What else can you use an apple slicer for?
An apple slicer can be used to chop onions and this is likely to be appreciated by those who typically get rather teary during the process of cutting up an onion using a knife.
Using a slicer gets the job done much quicker so this needn’t be as great of a concern.
Can I sharpen an apple slicer?
Your apple slicer can become blunt when used for a lot of cutting. In this instance, it is possible to sharpen it using a designated knife sharpener.
Doing so will restore the sharpness of the blades making the slicer suitable for many more uses in the future.