When the smell of BBQ is in the air and the bathing suits are out you know it’s time for a classic American meal that has come to accompany every backyard get together in the summer: the classic hot dog. This go to recipe of every party is just as much of a staple as the potato salad and watermelon slices.
Take a Look ↓↓↓
As you take your first bite, you can almost feel the sun on your face and hear the laughter of family and friends in the background. So whether you are grilling for a crowd or just for yourself, break out those hot dogs and get ready to enjoy an All-American favorite!
For an extra special twist, you can top your hot dogs with all sorts of deliciousness. Try some caramelized onion and peppers or a spicy chili cheese topping. You can also get creative and add some homemade condiments like sweet relish or dill pickles. With so many toppings to choose from, the possibilities are endless!
No matter how you dress it up, a hot dog is always a welcome addition to any summer gathering. So next time you’re in the mood for something comforting and classic, don’t forget to add hot dogs to your menu. The recipe below is completely customizable so you can change up the flavors depending on your mood, your guests, or even the seasons.
You can even change out the types of meat you use for hot dogs including beef, sausage, pork, chicken, or vegetarian and these recipes with hot dogs will still make any of them taste delicious. The real secret to a delicious hot dog is the bun. While most people don’t give it any more consideration than taking them out of the package, you can actually make your own at home. The homemade buns are easier to make than you think and they taste better too!
Since a lot of hot dogs were made trying to get this recipe perfect we came up with some little known secrets that most hot dog makers don’t even think about. Try throwing your dogs in the oven at 250F in a baking dish of some kind so that you can get the cheese perfectly melted, the hot dog buns can be warm and toasty, and the dogs will be evenly cooked throughout.
Now, you don’t have to break the bank trying to get the perfect grilled hot dog ingredients on your table. Instead, you can use ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen, like a can of chili, some pickles and chopped onion, and some condiments. Or, if you really want to go all out then you can make some crazy hot dog recipe that include mac and cheese, sloppy joes, chili, or even coleslaw.
The Best Hot Dog Recipes
Spice up your life a little with this delicious and easy-to-make recipe that anyone can make. You’ll get the perfect combination of savory flavor, a hint of spice, and an amazing crunch. The ingredients are practically endless when you’re thinking of a Mexican hot dog.
Adding tomatoes, onions, guacamole, cheese, jalapenos, and cilantro will give this hot dog a southwestern kick that people won’t be able to get enough of. You can even substitute your meat dog for a veggie dog and hardly anyone will even notice with the explosion of flavor that accompanies every bite.
If you really want your Tex-Mex hot dog to stand out you’ll make a homemade corn salsa that gives a little kick along with your creamy Monterey jack cheese. Now, if you really want to blow everyone’s socks off then you’ll make your own lime-cilantro mayo that you’ll start using for every Tex-Mex recipe you try. You can even get authentic with this recipe and have it with corn tortillas instead of a toasted bun.
It’s safe to say when you go to the country fare they make some of the best hot dogs around so you might as well try to recreate that! This recipe is pretty simple and uses everyday ingredients you can find in your kitchen.
First off, you’ll need a bacon wrapped hot dog. If you don’t feel like going through the steps to wrap your own then just buy pre-packaged. Then, cook up some onions and peppers until they
The inspiration for this combination comes from things you might expect to see at a county fair. It’s the perfect way to cook up a leftover hot dog and is the closest you’ll get to a Chicago style hot dog.
The fare gets crazy and might even serve you a deep fried hot dog which you can try to make in your own home, but the regular country fare dog will still be just as good. Get crazy with your country fare dog and add some pickles, beef chili, Canadian cheese, or some Dijon mustard and ketchup. Oh yeah, don’t forget the relish! This dog is the kind that can get real messy so you want to make sure to bring all your paper towels for this one.
Kids aren’t able to get enough of this one. Put a twist on your classic hot dog by creating a pizza dawg! You can use store-bought dough, or you can make your own. Once you have your dough ready, flatten it out and wrap it around the hot dog to create a pocket. Then top with marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese, swiss cheese, or parmesan cheese!
If you’re feeling adventurous, add some pepperoni and other pizza toppings like bell peppers or mushrooms to your hot dog. This version is sure to be a hit with the kiddos! If you are from the south you can go ahead and get crazy by adding some ranch to your pizza dog.
Real pizza aficionados will prefer some more high quality ingredients like prosciutto and pesto instead of the regular pepperoni, so don’t be shy with your flavors. This is sure to be a hit at your next summer barbecue!
BACON MAC ‘N CHEESE
Just reading the title will make your mouth water. This bacon mac and cheese dog is the perfect combination of creamy mac and cheese with savory bacon.
Start off by sautéing some diced onions, then add your cooked macaroni in with crispy bacon, butter, and shredded cheddar cheese. Then stuff it into a hot dog bun! This recipe gives you the option of adding some jalapeños to give it a bit of spice. For an extra cheesy experience, top your hot dog with shredded cheese and melt it under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
The bacon mac ‘n cheese hot dog is sure to be a hit at any cookout or barbecue! It’s also great for a snack or to make in big batches for game day. Who says hot dogs can’t be a gourmet meal?
To get real fancy you can top this one off with some truffle salt to get some extra umami flavor going. Of course, you’ll need a side to go with your savory hot dog so you might want to try some potatoes salad, Asian coleslaw, or warm bean salad. Dessert can even include a warm peach pie or apricot cobbler. Just make sure you have some vanilla ice cream to go along with your hot summer pie!
Best Hot Dog Recipes
- 4 hot dogs meat of your choice
- 4 bread buns
For the Tex-Mex:
- 1 cup corn salsa
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 jalapeños sliced
- For the lime-cilantro mayonnaise:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
For the County Fare:
- 4 large sliced pickles
- 1 cup beef chili
- 1 cup sharp Canadian cheddar
- ketchup mustard, and relish
For the Pizza Dawg:
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup cooked onions green peppers, and baby mushrooms
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
For the Bacon Mac ‘N Cheese:
- 8 pieces of bacon
- 1 cup macaroni and cheese
- ½ cup blue cheese
- 1 cup coleslaw
Prepare your hot dogs:
- To start, you'll want to warm up the grill to 500F. While the oven is warming you'll want to use a pairing knife to cut little slits along the hot dog wieners so they cook evenly. Mark the hot dog every half-inch and you should only be cutting into the dog halfway through the meat. Then, you're ready to put the hot dogs on the grill and cook them for about 5 minutes. You want to make sure to rotate the dogs as they cool so that each side gets nice and browned. Then, you can use the wieners for any of the following preparations:
For the Tex-Mex:
- Open up your buns but leave them cold for now. You'll cook them in the next steps below so you don't want them to get overcooked and too hard to eat. They'll only need a couple of minutes to warm up and start getting crispy. Next, take a spoonful of your amazing corn salsa and spread it onto each bun evenly making sure the entire inside is covered. Next, place the wiener into the bun and immediately throw some of your Monterey Jack cheese on top. Add your grilled jalapenos on top and then carefully place each of your dogs into a casserole dish that is large enough to fit all your dogs. Throw the dish into an oven heated to 250F and bake everything together for 10-15 minutes. You want to make sure the cheese is nice and melted and the bun becomes very toasty. When they are all done cooking you can go ahead and add your garnish like the lime-cilantro mayo.
For the County Fare:
- Just like with your Tex-Mex hot dogs, you want to open up your buns but you don't want to actually cook them yet. Instead, line both sides of the bun with some of your pickle slices. Then, you're ready to put the wieners inside your buns and top them off with a generous helping of some chili. Make sure the chili is evenly spread throughout the entire hot dog. Put some cheese on top of everything and then place your dogs carefully into a casserole dish to get ready to throw in the oven. Place the dish into the oven at 250F and cook for 10-15 minutes. As long as the cheese has melted fully and the bun is nice and toasty you're ready to take them out of the oven. Garnish with the classic mustard, ketchup, and relish to make this dog really stand out.
- A pizza dog involves opening your buns just like you did in the previous two recipes. This time though, you'll be adding some pizza sauce into each bun while making sure to spread it evenly. Next, place the olives of your choice onto only one side of the hot dog bun and then add your sautéed veggies to the other side of your bun. Now you're ready to add your cheese for the pizza dog and be generous because we all know cheese is really what makes a pizza good. Then, like you did in the previous two steps, place your dogs into a baking dish and stick it all in the oven. Make sure the oven was heated to 250F and cooked for around 10-15 minutes. Once your cheese is nice and melted and your bun has a beautiful brown crisp to it, you are ready to serve. You can even add some parsley to make it more official.
For the Bacon Mac ‘N Cheese:
- Take out your buns and open them up and place your bacon pieces on each side of your bun. Take your cooked mac and cheese and then spread it across the entire bun making sure it is even. Then, put your wiener on top of it all and sprinkle some cheese on top. Throw everything into your casserole dish and then place it all in an oven heated to 250F for 10-15 minutes. Just like the other dishes, the cheese should be nice and melted and the bun should be crispy. When the dogs are done, put some coleslaw on top and serve it to your guests.
- How To Cook Corn On the Cob (Our Best Ways) - February 14, 2023
- How to Cook Pinto Beans on the Stovetop - February 13, 2023
- How to Make Risotto - February 13, 2023