There are few tastier summer veggie treats than summer squash recipes. One of our favorite summer squash recipe ideas is roasted summer squash. Gorgeous little squash rounds are seasoned and breaded, then roasted in the oven until they’re perfectly crispy. Roasted summer squash is a delicious and healthy side dish that is perfect for a summer barbecue or a weeknight dinner.
Take a Look ↓↓↓
This roasted summer squash recipe is the perfect squash recipe because you can use any type of summer squash to make it. Although this recipe calls for yellow squash, you can easily adapt the recipe to use patty pan squash, zucchini, and even crookneck squash if you’re lucky enough to find them at the grocery store.
A Super Simple Side Dish
If you’re looking for easy side dishes to go with your summertime grilled meat, this squash recipe may be exactly what you’ve been dreaming of.
To make this roasted squash recipe, you need just a few basic ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, plus some summer squash from your garden or supermarket.
Best of all, this yellow squash recipe is ready to serve in just a few minutes, and the flavor is amazing.
The coating is super crispy, and it clings deliciously to every slice of yellow squash, adding tons of crunch and flavor.
Ingredients and Recipe Variations
You need these basic ingredients for summer squash recipes.
SUMMER SQUASH: Use whatever type of summer squash you like. The yellow squash is the superstar in this recipe. Try making this recipe with yellow squash, pattypan squash, or zucchini. You can even make this recipe with a mixture of all the different summer squashes.
BREADING: We like to use a breading mixture of parmesan cheese, panko bread crumbs, and seasonings. For seasoning, use smoked paprika, lemon pepper, freshly ground black pepper, and sea salt.
OTHER VEGETABLES: If you want to make a yellow squash veggie side dish with more variety, add some other veggies to the mix. The key is to choose vegetables with similar cooking times. For example, we’ve made this recipe with eggplant slices, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, asparagus spears, and fresh green beans.
OTHER SEASONINGS: Do you love other spices and seasonings? Feel free to get creative with this recipe. Consider garlic salt, garlic powder, onion powder, a dash of cayenne pepper, or a pinch of red pepper flakes. Get creative with your fresh herb options!
Step-by-Step Guide to Roasted Summer Squash
Roasted summer squash recipes are so easy, and they’re so good for you, too! Follow these instructions to make your roasted yellow squash recipe.
- Cut the yellow squash into slices about 1/2 inch thick. In a large bowl, toss the yellow squash slices with olive oil. To use less olive oil, you can also spray the yellow squash on all sides with olive oil spray.
- Combine all of the seasoning and ingredients and toss them in with your slices of squash.
- Spread the squash slices out evenly on a prepared baking pan.
- Bake the squash slices just until they’re tender, about 12-14 minutes. You don’t need to turn them halfway through the cooking time.
- Once the yellow squash is tender from the roasting in the oven, put the pan under your broiler or turn your oven to “broil.” This is the secret to getting the squash slices golden brown and crispy.
- Sprinkle with more parmesan cheese if you like.
If you want roasted squash that’s crisp-tender, cut the slices just a little bit thicker. If you want softer squash slices, slice the squash a tiny bit thinner (not too thin, or you’ll have squash chips!).
Main Dish Meals for This Summer Squash Side Dish
Roasted summer squash is delicious enough to be a meal on its own. If you’re vegan or vegetarian, you will love this recipe. The flavor is mild, and this roasted side dish is perfect for tomato based recipes, roasted meats of any kind, and grilled meat.
What goes well with roasted summer squash? You can serve this squash as a side dish for nearly any main dish. To serve this recipe for roasted summer squash as a side dish, try it with any of these main dish meals.
- Sirloin Tip Steak
- Marinated Flank Steak
- Garlic Butter Scallops
- Garlic Shrimp Pasta
- Bottom Round Roast
- Golden Chicken Drumsticks
- Baked Rosemary Chicken Thighs
More Roasted Vegetable Side Dishes
Do you love roasted veggies? Try roasting any of these delicious and healthy veggies for some new side dish rotations in your family’s weekly meal plan.
- Roasted potatoes
- Fresh green beans
- Winter squash
- Oven roasted butternut squash (we love a cinnamon roasted butternut squash recipe on a sheet pan with some brown sugar or maple syrup, and you’ll need to roast butternut squash for a little bit longer)
- Sweet potato
Tasty Roasted Summer Squash Recipe
- 2 medium yellow summer squash patty pan squash, or zucchini (about 1 pound)
- 2 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the yellow summer squash, zucchini, or patty pan squash into slices that are 1/2" thick.
- Toss the squash in a large bowl with extra virgin olive oil.
- Lay the summer squash in a large baking sheet or baking pan.
- Roast the squash in the oven for about 12-14 minutes. You'll know your squash is ready to broil when it's completely tender.
- Place the baking pan in the broiler and broil for 1-2 minutes. This step allows the breadcrumbs to get just brown enough to be perfect.
Watch this video to learn how to cook summer squash in the oven step-by-step.