Everybody loves a bit of baking, especially when chocolate chip cookies are involved. But if you’re on a diet or simply want to make a change in order to avoid unnecessary sugar, then you may need some good alternatives for sugar-packed chocolate chips.
It is well known that consuming too much sugar can lead to an array of health issues, including dental decay, diabetes, and obesity to name a few. However, that doesn’t mean as a nation we don’t still crave the sweet goodness of chocolate.
Take a Look ↓↓↓
Sugar-free chocolate chips work just as well for melting, baking, and decorating as regular chocolate chips do. So, for a healthier, less-calorie alternative, what’s not to love?
Keep reading to find out the 5 best sugar-free chocolate chips.
Cutting chocolate out of your diet might seem like the simplest alternative to cutting down on sugar, but I can appreciate this isn’t always the easiest option. If you’re anything like me, you probably have a sweet tooth that is hard to satiate!
As a result, it is likely that you need something to help manage your sugar intake without you having to give up your favorite treats. After all, life is all about moderation, and skipping dessert can become old quickly.
This is why you need an alternative that allows you to still eat dessert when you feel like it, but is slightly healthier for you in terms of its sugar content.
Sugar-free chocolate chips are a game-changer when it comes to making your favorite recipes, such as chocolate chip cookies and chocolate chip pancakes!
Benefits of Sugar-free Chocolate Chips
A lot of sugar-free chocolate chips are sweetened with the natural sweetener, Stevia.
Stevia is a sugar substitute that is made from plants and comes with the benefits of plant products, such as added antioxidants and even anti-microbial properties.
Stevia has also been associated with several impressive health benefits, including reduced calorie intake, lower blood sugar levels, as well as it lowering the risk of cavities.
After all, if you have a sweet tooth, it’s likely that you need some help with maintaining your dental health!
High cocoa content
Generally speaking, sugar-free chocolate chips have a high percentage of cocoa that provides a wonderful, rich flavor to any recipe that you use it in. There are a number of health benefits that are associated with cocoa.
Namely, it is rich in antioxidants, can be good for heart health, and can decrease the risk of you developing heart disease and diabetes.
If the cocoa is what makes the chocolate so rich, it means sugar-free chocolate chips don’t compromise on flavor despite the lack of sugar.
Suitable for vegans
A lot of sugar-free chocolate chips are also a great treat for people that have stricter dietary requirements, such as the vegan diet.
Although the choice is expanding, finding dairy-free treats can be tricky as a vegan. Dairy-free, sugar-free chocolate chips are a great way of incorporating chocolate into your favorite vegan recipes, without losing out on all of the fun and deliciousness that chocolate provides.
Low carbohydrate content
Typically speaking, sugar-free chocolate chips are naturally low-carb. As a result of these chocolate chips’ low carb content alongside the fact that they are zero sugar, they are ideal for individuals trying to live a healthier lifestyle and for those on a ketogenic diet.
However, that being said, you should always check the ingredients list to ensure that they are suitable for the diet that you are on. There are also some calorie savings with sugar-free chocolate, but they are not as impressive as the carb content.
The variety of sugar-free chocolate chips to choose from is expanding, and like normal chocolate, the demand means that there is a variety of good quality options to choose from, too!
A lot of sugar-free chocolate chips are Fairtrade and use premium cocoa, so you don’t have to miss out on quality chocolate.
There’s an array of options to choose from, meaning that if you do want to spend a bit more on quality chocolate, there are sugar-free options out there.
Check out the 5 best sugar-free chocolate chips below.
OUR TOP PICK
The Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips are low carb, keto diet friendly, and are made out of premium dark chocolate that is 55% cocoa.
These chocolate chips are sweetened with the zero-calorie, botanical sweetener, Stevia, so you don’t have to worry about any nasties or fillers upsetting your stomach or unbalancing your diet.
The Lily’s chocolate chips are entirely vegan, making them a great alternative if you’re in a bind with a plant-based recipe or if you’ve made the switch to a plant-based diet.
- Good quality - Use of Fair Trade, gluten-free and non-GMO ingredients, so you can rest assured you’re getting top
- No added sugar – This makes these chocolate chips great for those with health issues, such as diabetes, or if you’re simply trying to cut sugar out.
- Low-carb – Makes Lily’s dark chocolate chips keto friendly.
- One customer claimed that these chips were smaller than they had been anticipating.
The Lily’s Dark Chocolate Premium Baking Chips are sweetened with the natural sweetener, stevia!
These chocolate chips are a Fairtrade International product, meaning that they are produced in line with ethical and environmental standards, including supporting farmers to tackle climate change challenges.
These sugar-free chocolate chips are great to use in a variety of recipes, from pancakes to cookies, for all of your baking needs!
- 25% fewer calories – This makes these sugar-free chocolate chips 100% indulgent but also great if you’re on a diet!
- Fairtrade – Ensuring that in buying these sugar-free chocolate chips, you’re also supporting farmers.
- Vegan, non-GMO ingredients – Meaning you don’t have to worry about any hidden nasties upsetting your diet or lifestyle.
- One customer claimed that they had to keep these particular chocolate chips in the fridge to prevent them from melting before they could use them.
The Hershey’s Sugar-Free Semi-Sweet Baking Chips are great for making your favorite recipes slightly healthier!
These chocolate chips are ideal for a variety of semi-sweet chocolate recipes, so you can still enjoy the delicious taste without the sugar of chocolate.
Being sugar-free doesn’t automatically mean you have to skip dessert! Why not treat yourself with some sugar-free chocolate?
- Versatile - Use these baking chips as a sweet addition to cookies, brownies, muffins, and pancakes, or melt them into sugar-free drizzles and glazes.
- Great flavor – These Hershey’s sugar-free baking chips pack a punch, so you don’t have to feel like you’re missing out on any normal chocolate. You won’t be able to taste the difference!
- Sugar-free - Designed to help you create delicious recipes without the extra sugar!
- A few customers noted that these chips had melted and were thus misshapen by the time they had been delivered.
The ChocZero’s Dark Chocolate chips are entirely suitable for those living a vegan lifestyle!
Dark and decadent, these chocolate chips use the same high-quality ingredients that ChocZero has become renowned for.
These chocolate chips contain no added sugar, no sugar alcohols, and are entirely soy-free.
- Versatile – Use these chocolate chips for all of your recipes, bakes, or even just to snack on throughout the day!
- Natural – These chocolate chips do not contain any artificial sweeteners and are soy-free and gluten-free.
- Cocoa liquor – The cocoa liquor and high-quality cocoa butter pair excellently together, creating a subtle sweetness with no aftertaste and without sugar alcohols.
- One customer claimed that this particular bag of sugar-free chocolate chips was smaller than they were expecting.
The SWEET LUV Keto Dark Baking Chocolate Chips are made out of 80% cacao and are entirely gluten-free and vegan!
These chocolate chips come in a convenient small-size that is perfect for all of your baking needs and recipes and is sweetened with an all-natural blend of organic stevia and chicory root inulin.
The SWEET LUV chocolate chips have a low glycemic index, making them a perfect treat if you are on the ketogenic or the Atkins diet.
- Naturally low-carb - These chocolate chips only contain 1g net carbs and are zero sugar, making them ideal for individuals trying to live a healthier lifestyle.
- Suitable for vegans – Great for people on a plant-based/vegan diet, gluten wheat grain soy and dairy-free
- Natural ingredients – These chocolate chips contain no artificial sweeteners, preservatives, or color, so you don’t have to worry about any hidden nasties.
- A few customers noted that the taste of these particular sugar-free chocolate chips was more bitter than they were anticipating.
Is sugar-free chocolate good for you?
There are a few health benefits known to be associated with chocolate, such as it being a food high in antioxidants, and could help improve brain function. However, regular chocolate is often packed with sugar. So what about sugar-free chocolate?
While even little calorie savings could add up for someone who enjoys some chocolate every day, the bottom line is that these new sugar-free chocolates probably are of most benefit to people with diabetes.
This is because sugar-free chocolate could help them enjoy a little bit of chocolate without the worry of it raising their blood sugar levels. That being said, sugar-free chocolate is also great for those on a specific diet and can also be dairy-free, making it great for vegans.
However, as with every product, there are downsides to sugar-free chocolate, too. Namely, potential intestinal discomfort. The majority of packages of sugar-free chocolate provide a label that reads ‘Excessive consumption may cause a laxative effect’.
As a result, you won’t want to go overboard, the same way you wouldn’t want to overindulge with regular chocolate, either. Just because it’s sugar-free, doesn’t mean you don’t need to eat it in moderation!
Is sugar-free chocolate safe for diabetics?
Yes, sugar-free chocolate can be a great alternative for people with diabetes. If you struggle to find a treat that is suitable for you as a diabetic, you should know that there isn’t really chocolate that is marketed as ‘diabetic chocolate’.
However, sugar-free chocolate usually refers to chocolate that has been sweetened with calorie-free or low-calorie sugar substitutes. These substitutes are usually safe for diabetes since they generally have no effect on blood sugar.
As a result, then, if you’re looking for an alternative, sugar-free chocolate can be a good alternative to sugary dark or milk chocolate.
That being said, always make sure that the chocolate chips you are choosing are of good quality, and always make sure that you check the ingredients list to ensure that there’s nothing that could aggravate or exacerbate your condition.
What is the best sugar-free chocolate?
The answer to this question is subject to change depending on you as an individual and your own personal preferences.
However, most obviously, the best sugar-free chocolate is going to be one that tastes like normal chocolate, right?
When choosing the best sugar-free chocolate for you, I'd recommend taking any health issues or dietary requirements that you have into consideration and make sure that you check the product description.
For instance, if you’re looking at sugar-free chocolate chips because you’re vegan, diabetic, or keto, make sure that the ingredients list is safe for you to consume.
If in doubt about whether sugar-free chocolate chips are suitable for you, you could always contact the company directly if you’re unsure.
Make sure that you check the product description and the reviews for more information. It’s better to be safe than sorry!