We love hot dogs. In America, eating hot dogs is an important part of our culture, with a hot dog cart on every corner, people enjoying them at big games, or even sizzling them in their backyard.
Hot dogs are also served up for Fourth of July celebrations, at theme parks, and there are hot dog eating contests! As such an integral part of our culture, you will need to know how to make the best hot dogs.
Lucky, we have a guide of how to make our favorite fast food, in just 5 steps.
With our help, you can make hot dogs at home just like your favorite street vendor! Making hot dogs really is not that difficult, and can be done in just a few minutes, with results bursting with flavor and those hot dog juices that we all enjoy so much!
Easy Hot Dogs in under 5 minutes
- Hot dog sausages
- Hot dog buns
- Condiments ketchup or mustard
How to boil hot dogs in the microwave
- Place your hot dogs in a microwave safe bowl.
- Fill the bowl with water, leaving about an inch of space at the top.
- Put the bowl in the microwave and cook the hot dogs for about 2-3 minutes. Some microwaves will need longer, and you may have to add water during the cooking process to prevent the hot dogs from drying out.
- Once done, remove the hot dogs from the bowl with tongs and place on a plate with some paper towels to dry off excess liquid.
- When dry, put the hot dogs in the buns, and top with condiments to serve!
How to boil hot dogs in 5 easy steps
- Fill a large pan with water.
- Place the pan on a high heat burner and allow it to come to the boil.
- Once water is boiling, use tongs to immerse the hot dogs in the water.
- Reduce the heat to a low setting, and allow the hot dogs to cook for 4-6 minutes depending on how firm you want them to be.
- Once cooked, remove from the water and dry off with paper towels and place them in the buns, topping with preferred condiments before serving.
How to boil hot dogs in a skillet
- First, boil some water in a shallow skillet, and heat the water until it begins to give off some steam. The water should be filled to the point where only half of the sausages are covered in the water.
- Using tongs, add your hot dog sausages to the water, and let them cook evenly.
- As the sausages cook, the water will steam up and boil off them, and they may cook very quickly. Therefore, you will want to keep a close eye on the hot dogs.
- Whilst they cook, add a little spoonful of butter on each hot dog and allow to cook and roast until they start to blister and crisp up. Keep watching in case they stick and burn in the pan.
- Once done, remove the hot dogs from the pan and serve up with the buns and your favorite condiments such as mustard, onions or ketchup.
Our Top Tips
When cooking hot dogs, some instructions will tell you to prick the sausages with a fork before cooking. We recommend that you do not do this as this can cause all of the juices to leak out when cooking, and you may be left with dry sausages, which nobody wants!
In addition, try to remember that these recipes are for ready to cook hot dog sausages, and so if you are using frozen hot dogs, you will need to allow for a little extra cooking time!