Popcorn is a food that is adored by many. What once began as kernels will soon pop into a great-tasting snack.
Take a Look ↓↓↓
The popcorn kernel needs to be prepared correctly, but you have to be careful with the saturated fat. There are several "healthy oils" to use in your popcorn maker including peanut oil, vegetable oil, sunflower oil, avocado oil, refined coconut oil, and soybean oil. Which one you use depends on taste and your machine. It is possible to turn an unpopped kernel into perfect popcorn.
A popcorn machine provides a great way of enjoying this snack from the comfort of your home.
However, it is possible to burn the Kernels and dry out the popcorn if it is not prepared and made correctly.
When you've spent the day looking forward to your popcorn movie night, you of course want to ensure that such issues are avoided.
This is where popcorn oil comes in. Adding the oil into your popcorn machine will prevent it from drying out or burning.
It is important to ensure that the correct amount is added otherwise your popcorn may become mushy and unappealing. The oil that you choose for your popcorn machine is going to be determined by your personal taste preference.
While coconut oil tends to provide the most popular option, those seeking a healthier alternative may opt for canola oil. For popcorn lovers who are yet to find the best oil fear not as we have you covered.
Below, we have selected and reviewed our top 5 picks of the best oils available for popcorn machines.
We've also provided you with a buyer's guide containing our top tips for selecting the best option. We've tested each one in our kitchen. Enjoy!
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
The Orville Redenbacher's Popping & Topping Buttery Flavored Oil can be used to pop or top your popcorn. If you enjoy popcorn that is rich in flavor, you may wish to use it during both stages.
It is simple to use as it is very similar to butter. Shake the bottle beforehand and then pour it onto your popcorn for even coverage. It comes in a generously sized 16 OZ bottle which is likely to see you through many uses.
The richness of this oil encourages unpopped kernels to pop with a light and fluffy texture. It is also free of artificial preservatives, colors, and dyes and it is keto-friendly with 0 grams of net carbs.
Because of this, it is great for those who want to enjoy their snack without feeling as though they are overindulging.
- Quantity - this popcorn oil comes in a pack of 6 so you have plenty available.
- Value - as a multipack, this popcorn oil is great value for many.
- Keto-friendly - provides a healthy alternative for those who don't want to miss out on eating this snack.
- Versatility - it can be used with all popcorn machines including hot air poppers and stovetop popcorn poppers.
- Taste - some customers have suggested that this oil lacks the taste intensity that they were expecting.
For those looking to create movie theatre style popcorn from the comfort of their own home, the Snappy Pure Coconut Popping Oil provides a great option.
Though it may be coconut oil, it has a delicious buttery flavor and it doesn't need to be melted beforehand so you can make your popcorn without having to worry about it burning.
This popcorn oil has been made without using preservatives or chemicals and has been colored using beta carotene, a natural ingredient that is found in carrots.
It is also a refined, non-hydrogenated oil that doesn't contain any trans fats either. As a result, you can enjoy your popcorn without feeling as though you are consuming a hugely unhealthy snack.
Impressively, this popping oil comes in a generously sized 1 gallon tub which is expected to last for around 256 servings. As a result, you have plenty available to create many portions of great-tasting popcorn.
- Versatility - the uses of this product aren't solely restricted to making popcorn as it can be used for many other cooking purposes too.
- The Size - as this oil comes in a generously sized tub, it can see you through many uses.
- Healthy - made from coconut oil, this popping oil provides a healthy alternative.
- Easy to store - as it doesn't require refrigeration you don't have to worry about it taking up a lot of room if you have a smaller fridge.
- The Container - Because this popcorn oil comes in a tub it can be a little difficult to get out as it can't be poured.
The Franklin's Gourmet Popcorn Coconut Oil creates mouthwatering, buttery popcorn just like you would enjoy at the movie theatre, except you can make it from home.
It's super versatile. Not only can it be used in popcorn machines, but it can also be used on the stove, in a saucepan, or in the microwave.
A great thing about this oil is that it is vegan-friendly and gluten-free. Made with all-natural ingredients it can be enjoyed by those with dietary requirements ensuring that no one has to miss out on a delicious snack.
It doesn't contain any trans fats either which is great for those seeking a healthier option.
Just like our previous pick, this popcorn oil is a multipurpose product.
While it is primarily intended for popcorn making, it can also be used for cooking a variety of other foods including meat, eggs, vegetables, and more.
- Money Back Guarantee - If you are not satisfied with your purchase, the brand will offer you a refund.
- Made in the USA - As this popcorn oil has been Made in the USA, you can be confident in the source of your product.
- Vegan - the ingredients used to make this oil are suitable for those on a vegan and gluten-free diets.
- Taste - This coconut oil creates popcorn that is rich in a tasty buttery flavor.
- Cost - this popcorn oil is a little pricey which may make it unappealing to some.
The Dutchman's Popcorn Coconut Oil has a buttery flavor that is very similar to the popcorn that you would enjoy at a movie theatre.
It has a rich orange color which is created by the BETA carotene, a natural ingredient found in carrots that doesn't contain preservatives or chemicals.
A great thing about this popcorn oil is that it is suitable for vegans and those that are on a gluten-free diet.
Because of this, your diet requirements don't have to restrict you from enjoying great tasting popcorn.
For those looking for a healthier way of eating popcorn, this coconut oil provides a great alternative.
It is non-hydrogenated and also doesn't contain any trans fats. The versatility of this coconut oil means that it can be added to several other recipes too.
- The Size - as this popcorn oil comes in a 30 ounce container it is likely to last for many uses.
- The Quantity - It can be bought alone or in a pack of 12 so you can choose the amount that you require.
- Affordable - in comparison to competitor offerings, this coconut oil is good value for money.
- The Taste - this coconut oil oozes lots of flavor and creates delicious tasting popcorn.
- Storage - if left at room temperature, this coconut oil will become solid and this will make it difficult to scoop out.
The Kernel Season’s Movie Theatre Popcorn Oil comes in a pack of 6 so you have plenty available to cater to future popcorn cravings.
As implied by the name, this oil will recreate the buttery taste of the popcorn that you enjoy at the theatre.
This oil can be used as a popping oil inside your machine or a topping. If you intend to add it to your popcorn machine you simply need to pour it over the kernels and wait for them to begin popping.
If you would prefer to use it as a topping, you can simply pour it over the freshly popped popcorn ensuring that it is all evenly coated.
A great thing about this popcorn oil is that it is gluten-free certified so it accommodates different dietary requirements.
Each serving only has 120 calories so you can enjoy your snack without feeling as though you are indulging in something that is super unhealthy.
- Made in the USA - this oil has been made in the USA so you are aware of the source of your purchase.
- Servings - you only need one tablespoon per serving and each bottle is expected to serve approximately 28 servings.
- Bottle Design - the flip top cap makes it easier to pour the oil directly into the machine.
- The Flavor - many customers praised the flavor of this popcorn as it tastes just like movie theatre popcorn.
- Consistency - as this oil is a little thin it's sometimes easy to overpour it unintentionally.
Best Oils For Popcorn Machines Buying Guide
As you can see there are many varieties of popcorn oil available. Below we have listed some factors that we would advise you to consider before purchasing your product.
Many oils claim to replicate the flavor of movie theatre popcorn, however, you will find some that are better at doing this than others.
Your personal preference is going to be a huge deciding factor in the type of oil that you choose. Selecting one that doesn’t cater to your tastes is likely to result in a wasted purchase.
The product packaging will state the flavor so you know exactly what you are buying beforehand.
A great thing about many popcorn oils is that they are not solely restricted to popcorn making uses, in fact, many can be used for a range of other cooking applications too.
Because of this, you can enjoy the delicious flavor of the oil in many other recipes if its use is required.
Of course, it is super important to consider your own dietary needs before choosing your popcorn oil.
Many are now made to cater to those on vegan and gluten-free diets. If you are uncertain of any of the ingredients, it is always worth double-checking the packaging and product specifications beforehand.
The packaging of the product will state the ingredients.
You will find that many are now made using natural, low fat alternatives which is great for those who are conscious about eating healthy because they can still enjoy a great tasting snack.
Many brands offer their popcorn oils in multiple quantities and others offer their product in individual packs. It is important to bear this in mind before making your choice.
While opting for a multipack is great as you have several bottles available to make plenty of portions of popcorn in the future, popcorn oil can expire when stored for a lengthy period of time, so they may end up being a wasted purchase.
The Bottle/Jar Size
The size of the bottle or jar of oil that you require will depend on how much popcorn you expect to make.
Of course, you don’t have to use it all in one sitting and larger jars offer plenty of servings for future batches of popcorn.
It’s worth noting that those that come in larger jars may be more difficult to store. Popcorn oil that is stored incorrectly is likely to become solid and difficult to use.
Also, consider the design of the bottle. Many come in jars meaning the oil will need to be scooped out and added into your popcorn machine.
Others come in bottles designed with convenient tops which allow you to pour the oil directly into the machine making minimal mess in the process.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best oil for a popcorn machine?
Coconut oil tends to be the most commonly used in popcorn machines as it is deemed to be the best tasting option.
This type of oil is also typically used to make movie theatre popcorn. However, there isn't necessarily a best option available as your personal taste is going to be the deciding factor.
Can you use butter instead of oil in a popcorn machine?
Adding butter to your popcorn machine sounds like a great way of creating popcorn with a nice buttery taste, however, this isn't the case.
As butter has a lower heating point there is a greater risk of it burning the popcorn.
Best Oil for Popping Popcorn: We Test 5 Options
- Orville Redenbacher's Popping Oil
- Snappy Pure Coconut Popping Oil
- Franklin's Gourmet Popcorn Coconut Oil
- Dutchman's Popcorn Coconut Oil
- Kernel Season’s Movie Theatre Popcorn Oil
- Try our kitchen tested oils for popping popcorn.
Use in or with your favorite recipe.
- Splatter Guards: Buyer’s Guide and 7 Best Picks - May 25, 2023
- Can I Refreeze Salmon and Is it Safe? - May 25, 2023
- Can You Microwave Cup Noodles - May 25, 2023